|1. Coat cake with a very thin
crumb coat of buttercream, ganache (white or dark) or apricot jam to
prepare it for the rolled fondant covering. Let the cake air
dry with the crumb coat before covering with fondant. Make
sure cake is level and any gaps are filled with buttercream.
2. Rolled fondant can be colored using gel or paste colors (not liquid color) and also flavored.
3. Surrounding work area and rolling pin should be meticulously clean.
4. Soften the rolled fondant before using. A thin coat of shortening (Crisco) can be used on your hands and kneaded into the rolled fondant. If rolled fondant is to soft a consistency, knead in sifted powdered sugar. It is recommended to use a Roll'Pat non-stick mat to roll-out the fondant.
5. Dust your work area with equal parts of sifted cornstarch and confectionery sugar. Ensure your work area is dusted evenly.
6. Roll-out using a slight pressure to a 3/8”-1/4" thickness. Rotate the rolled fondant constantly to prevent sticking to the table. DO NOT flip the fondant over.
7. Should air bubbles form while kneading fondant, prick the bubbles with a needle and lightly rub the bubble until the air is expelled.
8. Gently polish the surface of the fondant in a circular motion with the palm of your hand. This makes it shiny and smooth.
9. Place the prepared cake on the worktable in front of you. NOT on a turntable!
10. Carefully lift the fondant off the worktable making sure not to push your finger through the fondant. An alternate method of transferring rolled fondant is to simply roll it around a rolling pin. Fondant Lifters are also excellent tools.
11. Lay the rolled fondant over the cake starting from the side closest to you, then across to the opposite side, making sure you have covered the entire top and sides of the cake.
12. Cut off the excess with scissors or sharp serrated knife. Then working slowly work around the cake removing any wrinkles. Then use a bowl scraper to smooth and adhere the fondant to the cake. Remove any excess fondant around the edges.
13. Decorate the cake with fine royal icing decorations and gum paste flowers.
14. Stencling, Piping Gel Transfers and Rice Paper Transfers will promise the finest results on Bakels Rolled Fondant.