|MILK - cold||48 oz..|
|BUTTER - softened||8 oz.|
|BREAD FLOUR||3 oz.|
Yields: 120 Croissants weighing 1.75 oz. each.
1. DOUGH (detrempe): Mix the first 6 ingredients together - "Straight Dough Mixing Method". Mix on low speed for " 5 minutes" until a smooth loose dough is formed - do not overwork the dough! Allow to rise for 30 minutes. Then pin-out the dough out into the size of a sheetpan. Then place the dough onto a parchment lined and lightly floured sheetpan, and retard for 30 minutes.
2. BUTTER BLOCK (beurrage): Combine the remaining butter and flour, and knead until pliable and lump free. Spread evenly over 2/3 of a parchment lined sheetpan. Place in the refrigerate for 10 minutes.
3. When the butter and dough have reached the same consistency, place the dough on your work table, brush-off any excess flour, and cover 1/2 of the dough evenly with the butter.
4. Fold the other half of the dough over to cover the butter, seal the edges well. You have completed the LOCK-IN. Turn 90 degrees.
5. Roll out to 3x the width of a sheetpan, and as long. Complete the 1 3-FOLD. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
6. Complete the 2 3-FOLD, refrigerate 30 minutes, and the final 3 3-FOLD (total of 81 layers). Wrap tightly and refrigerate. Use the 2nd day.
1. Pan 20 croissants per sheet pan. Reverse the last row of croissants to prevent the tips from over-browning!
2. French egg wash (equal parts yolks and cream) - before and after proofing.
3. Proof until doubled in size. When the sheetpan is shaken, the croissants should jiggle.
4. Bake @ 425 F.