|CAKE FLOUR||1/2 ounces|
|BUTTER - softened||3 ounces|
|VANILLA EXTRACT||2 tsp.|
1) In a medium sized pot, bring 24 oz. of milk and 1/2 the sugar to a boil. DO NOT STIR!! Reserving 1 cup of the milk. pic #2
2) In a medium-large bowl, blend together the reserved 1 cup of milk with the cornstarch and cake flour and whisk until well dissolved. Add the yolks, salt and remaining sugar and whisk together thoroughly. pic #3
3) Whisking the egg mixture constantly, slowly pour in the hot milk.
4) Pour this mixture back into the pot and place over medium-high heat. Constantly whisk the mixture until it comes to a boil. Pic #4
5) Remove from the stove, and strain into a clean bowl. pic #5
6) Place over an ice water bath, stirring slowly until the pastry cream reaches 110F. At this point, stir-in chunks of softened butter and vanilla extract. Continue to stir until cold. pic #6
7) Cover the surface with plastic wrap. This will keep a skin from forming. Refrigerate.
CHOCOLATE PASTRY CREAM
Whisk in 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate & 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate into the pastry cream.