|DARK SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE||14 ounces||7 ounce bar|
|BUTTER||8 ounces||8 TBSP.|
|VANILLA EXTRACT||2 tsp.||1 tsp.|
|EGGS - separated - room temperature||6||3|
|CAKE FLOUR - sifted||3 ounces||1/3 cup|
|SALT||1/4 tsp.||1/8 tsp.|
|CREAM OF TARTAR||1/4 tsp.||1/8 tsp.|
|SUGAR||4 ounces||1/4 cup|
CHOCOLATE LAVA CENTERS
|DARK SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE||4 ounces||2 ounces|
|HEAVY CREAM||3 ounces||1.5 ounces|
|BUTTER||2 tsp.||1 tsp.|
Molten Lava Cakes
1) Chop the dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces. Place into a metal bowl, add butter. Melt over a simmering waterbath. Remove from heat.
2) Add vanilla extract and (3) egg yolks. Whisk together until chocolate mixture is smooth. see picture #2
3)Add well sifted cake flour, and gently incorporated into the above chocolate mixture.
4) Place the (3) egg whites into a clean metal bowl, add salt and cream of tartar. Using a whisk, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue to whisk while slowly sprinkling in thesugar.
5) Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold 1/3rd of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then fold-in another 1/3rd of the egg whites. Then fold-in the last 1/3rd of the egg whites. see picture #3
6) Deposit the batter into large "non-stick" muffin tins - fill 3/4 full. Ramekins can also be used simply butter insides and dust with cocoa powder. see picture #4
7) Push a Chocolate Lava Center into the center of each cake batter. This creates the molten lava center!
8) Bake at 375F degrees for 15 minutes. Do not over bake! see picture #5
9) Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes, then unmold onto a wire rack to cool.
** Serve cakes warm! If you need to reheat, simply place in a microwave for 30 seconds. see picture #7
CHOCOLATE LAVA CENTERS (ganache)
1) Chop dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces. Place into a metal bowl. Heat heavy cream, pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add butter and whisk until incorporated.
2) Place mixture into the refrigerator to cool. Every few minutes whisk the mixture until a frosting like consistency is reached. If the mixture becomes firm slightly rewarm.
3) Fill a pastry bag with the ganache. Pipe-out "cherry" sized portions. Place these mounds into the freezer until ready to use. see picture #6