STRAIGHT DOUGH MIXING METHOD
1. Mixing the ingredients.
In a 20 qt. mixing bowl, blend together the water and yeast
by hand to create a slurry. Sift together the bread flour,
pastry flour, baking powder and milk solids and place on
top of the slurry. Followed by the eggs, salt and sugar. Reserve
the vegetable shortening.
2. Using a dough hook, mix on low speed
for "2 minutes". Then add the vegetable shortening,
and mix on medium speed for "7 minutes", until a smooth
dough is formed.
3. Place the dough in a lightly covered
bowl and cover. Allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes.
4. Punch-down the dough. Pin-out the
dough to a 1/2" thickness or scale into 1.5 ounce rounds.
Then allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
5. Using donut cutters, cut-out desired
donuts shapes Place on fryer screens and proof for 20 minutes.
Giving the donut a 3/4 proof.
6. The fry oil temperature should be
370F degrees. Fry the donuts for a total time of 2
1/2 minutes. Turn donuts halfway through frying.
7. Remove, allow to drain, and place
on paper towels to absorb fat. Allow donuts to cool for a couple
of minutes before applying the donut glaze. The
donuts must be at room temperature before applying a fondant
or a chocolate ganache glaze.
Vanilla Extract-1 tablespoon.
1) Bring to a boil water, sugar and
2) Sift the powdered sugar into a large bowl. Then slowly
whisk in the warmed liquid. Add the extract.
3) Using a glazing screen, pour the glaze over the yeast raised
donuts and allow them to crust over. Reuse glaze, but keep warm
Chop 1# of donut dough into medium sized pieces. Mix this together
with 5 ounces of apple pie filling, and 1 tsp. of cinnamon. Shape
4 oz. of this mixture into a round pile on a frying screen. Proof
for 20 minutes. Fry at 370F, and glaze while warm.